Re: drivers/block/ub.c

From: Pete Zaitcev
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 15:32:50 EST

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:23:10 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> + * -- use serial numbers to hook onto same hosts (same minor) after
> disconnect

It was a poor wording by me. It refers to the drift of naming due to
increments in usb_host_id. After a disconnect and reconnect, /dev/uba1
refers to the device, but /proc/partitions says "ubb".

To correct this, I have to set gendisk->fist_minor before calling
add_disk(), but in order to do that, a driver has to track devices
somehow. A serial number looks like an obvious candidate for a key.

-- Pete