Re: 2.6.7-mm2, mmaps rework, buggy apps, setarch

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 02:20:59 EST

* Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Just wanted to say that with 2.6.7-mm4 the problem is gone. I don't
> know which changes have been made to mm3/mm4 but now vuescan works
> again without any problem.

there was a bug in the first iteration of the flexible-mmap patch,
introduced during a cleanup of the patch. The bug resulted in the VM
throwing -ENOMEM's after the first ~3GB worth of mmap()s are done. So if
an app did lots of repeat mmap()/munmap()s [like vuescan most likely],
it would 'run out of memory' while there's still plenty of free VM left.

This bug is fixed in the current flexible-mmap patch included in -mm4.

> Thanks a lot for your patience!

you are welcome!

Ingo