Re: 2.4.26: IDE drives become unavailable randomly

From: tom st denis
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 09:00:07 EST

--- Andre Costa <costa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (please cc me on any replies, because I am not subscribed to this
> list;
> if I do need to subscribe, just let me know)
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using 2.4.26 SMP on a ABIT AT7 mobo, with a 2.8GHz P4 processor
> with hyper-threading enabled. I have one 80GB Seagate IDE disk
> as /dev/hda, and from time to time it seems to "disappear", usually
> after these messages appear a couple of trimes on/var/log/messages:

I get a similar problem on my Presario laptop. In my case "all of a
suddend" hda3 becomes write-only. Next time it happens I'll see if I
can capture a dmesg log or something. It only seems to happen when I
enable my wifi and do a lot of disk activity [but only once in a
while]. Could be that my wifi and IDE0 share an IRQ?

Of course I'm more apt to blame my laptop than Linux since the same
kernel [well diff build options but you know what I mean] works just
fine on my two desktops in the house...

Tom