System not booting after acpi_power_off()

From: Joerg Sommrey
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 15:37:40 EST

Hello,

my box behaves a bit strange after "shutdown -h". The system performs a
clean shutdown, but afterwards the front-side power button doesn't
power-on anymore. After turning off power completely for 5 - 10 sec
using the power supply's rear-side switch system boots again. I found a
hint that this might be caused by a power supply that doesn't fully
conform to ATX 2.01. Though this might be the real cause of my problem,
I'd like to know if there is a workaround. Shutting down from an older
Knoppix-CD (kernel 2.4.20 using apm) works fine, i.e. "front-side
power-on" works. However, with 2.6 running on a SMP box there seems to
be no way to poweroff via apm.

Is there a way to let machine_power_off() behave like apm_power_off() on
a SMP box?

My system:
kernel: 2.6.7-mm1 (same with other 2.4 and 2.6)
CPU: 2 x Athlon MP
board: Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466)

TIA
-jo

--
-rw-r--r-- 1 jo users 80 2004-06-30 19:31 /home/jo/.signature