Testing PROT_NONE and other protections, and a surprise

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 22:29:26 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> It would be a bug if copy_to_user()/copy_from_user() failed to return
> errors on attempted copies to/from areas with PROT_NONE protection.
>
> I recommend writing a testcase and submitting it to LTP. I'll follow up
> with an additional suggestion.

I've just written a thorough test. The attached program tries every
combination of PROT_* flags, and tells you what protection you really get.
I don't know how tests get into LTP; perhaps I can leave that to you?

When running it on i386, I got a *huge* surprise (to me). A
PROT_WRITE-only page can sometimes fault on read or exec. This is the
output:

Requested PROT | --- R-- -W- RW- --X R-X -WX RWX
MAP_SHARED | --- r-x !w! rwx r-x r-x rwx rwx
MAP_PRIVATE | --- r-x !w! rwx r-x r-x rwx rwx

The "!" means that a read or exec *sometimes* raises a signal.

(In general you cannot predict when it will or won't, because that can
depends on background paging decisions.)

Now, this makes complete sense when you think about how the page fault
path works. But it's quite surprising behaviour from an application
point of view. It's widely said that "PROT_WRITE implies PROT_READ on
i386" (and in fact on all architectures except IA64). This shows that
it isn't quite true.

This program should hopefully run on all architectures, however it
does depend on an empty function working when relocated. That might
not be the case. A file is written and then mapped, to ensure that
i-cache coherency isn't a problem.

It'll be interesting to see the results on other architectures.

-- Jamie

==== test_mmap_prot.c ====
/* Test actual page permissions for PROT_* combinations with mmap()

Copyright (C) 2004 Jamie Lokier

(at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA */

#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <setjmp.h>
#include <sys/signal.h>

static sigjmp_buf buf;
static int fd;
static size_t size;

/* Hopefully this function is so simple it executes correctly even
when relocated. */
void void_function (void) {}
void void_function_end (void) {}

void sigsegv (int sig)
{
siglongjmp (buf, 1);
}

void setup (void)
{
char * buffer;
size = getpagesize ();
buffer = calloc (1, size); /* All zeros. */
if (!buffer) {
perror ("calloc");
exit (1);
}
fd = open ("/tmp/test_mmap_file", O_CREAT | O_TRUNC | O_RDWR, 0666);
if (fd == -1) {
perror ("open");
exit (1);
}
if (unlink ("/tmp/test_mmap_file") != 0) {
perror ("unlink");
exit (1);
}
memcpy (buffer, (const char *) &void_function,
((const char *) &void_function_end
- (const char *) &void_function));
if (write (fd, buffer, size) != size) {
perror ("write");
exit (1);
}
signal (SIGSEGV, sigsegv);
signal (SIGBUS, sigsegv); /* For those that don't use SIGSEGV... */
}

char * map (int private, int r, int w, int x)
{
char * addr = mmap (0, size, ((r ? PROT_READ : 0)
| (w ? PROT_WRITE : 0)
| (x ? PROT_EXEC : 0)),
MAP_FILE | (private ? MAP_PRIVATE : MAP_SHARED),
fd, 0);
if (addr == (char *) MAP_FAILED) {
perror ("mmap");
exit (1);
}
return addr;
}

void test (int private, int R, int W, int X)
{
int i, dummy;
char * addr = map (private, R, W, X);
int r = 0, w = 0, x = 0;

for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
/* Test read. */
if (!sigsetjmp (buf, 1)) {
dummy = *(volatile char *) addr;
r++;
}

/* Ensure page is fresh, if necessary. */
if (i == 0) {
munmap (addr, size);
addr = map (private, R, W, X);
}

/* Test write. */
if (!sigsetjmp (buf, 1)) {
/* Don't clobber the executable code. */
*((volatile char *) (addr + size - 1)) = 1;
w++;
}

/* Ensure page is fresh, if necessary. */
if (i == 0) {
munmap (addr, size);
addr = map (private, R, W, X);
}

/* Test exec. */
if (!sigsetjmp (buf, 1)) {
((void (*) (void)) addr) ();
x++;
}
}
munmap (addr, size);

printf ("%c%c%c", (r == 10 ? 'r' : r == 0 ? '-' : '!'),
(w == 10 ? 'w' : w == 0 ? '-' : '!'),
(x == 10 ? 'x' : x == 0 ? '-' : '!'));
}

int main ()
{
int private, R, W, X;

setup ();
printf ("Requested PROT | --- R-- -W- RW- --X R-X -WX RWX\n"
"========================================================================\n");

for (private = 0; private <= 1; private++) {
printf ("%s | ", private ? "MAP_PRIVATE" : "MAP_SHARED ");

for (X = 0; X <= 1; X++) {
for (W = 0; W <= 1; W++) {
for (R = 0; R <= 1; R++) {
if (R | W | X)