machine hangs - SLES9/NFS

From: Shylendra Bhat
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 07:01:42 EST

Hello,

I am looking answers for the following questions.

Is nfs file lock acquired by client, persistent across the nfs server
reboot?
I know that this feature was not there in NFSv3. Does NFSv4 supports
this?

Following is the exercise which I did to test nfs file lock.

I have two machines. One among them is the NFS server running on
SLES9(kernel 2.6.5-7.79). The other machine mounts the NFS exported
filesystem.

I have written a application which locks the files over this nfs mount.

After acquiring the lock, I am restarting the nfs service using
"rcnfsserver restart" command.

After the nfs service restart, the client fails to release the lock and
is in a hung state. If the mount directory is listed, it shows

"bash: cd: /export: Stale NFS file handle"

After this behavior of the client, server stops responding. Only way to
bring back the machine is reboot.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Shylendra