Re: [OT] Testing PROT_NONE and other protections, and a surprise

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 09:44:12 EST

On Jul 01, 2004, at 08:39, Jamie Lokier wrote:
The error code is -1, aka. MAP_FAILED.
Oops! I guess I was just lucky that part didn't fail :-D On the other hand, it
couldn't legally return 0 anyway, could it? That would have been a slightly
more sensible error code, IMHO, anyway, but it probably came from some
silly standard somewhere.

I'll probably go file a bug with Apple now :-D

It might be a generic *BSD bug (for whatever value of * is used by MacOS X).

That would be interesting to know -- anyone here running *BSD on PPC
or any other architecture to test?

Of course it's an Apple bug as well :)

Apple's BSD derivative came out of the main tree several years ago, and it
wasn't really maintained for a few years, so it missed out on a lot of bug
fixes and such. They've tried to catch up on a lot of that and been mildly
successful, but it still has a ways to go.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett