Re: perfctr questions

From: Bryan O'Sullivan
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 17:22:54 EST

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 00:04 +0200, bert hubert wrote:

> I'm trying to test your performance counters stuff, but I can't get it to do
> anything remotely useful! Probably just me.

No, it's just obscure.

You have three options for now. The first is to read the Intel or AMD
CPU performance counter docs, which I don't recommend, because that kind
of thing is never fun.

The second is to build a library called PAPI, which includes a command
called papiex that provides a less intimidating performance counter
interface. However, building PAPI with a not-quite-the-same version of
perfctr is a bit daunting, so I don't recommend that, either.

Your third option is to build a version of perfex that I've hacked on,
but not had time to finish up and submit to Mikael. I've attached it as
a tarball. This includes a man page that makes the usage less scary,
and it also accepts (gasp) textual arguments instead of hex strings.
I've tested it on P6, Pentium M and AMD64 chips.

<b

--
Bryan O'Sullivan
Software Tools