Re: [RFC] on-chip coherent memory API for DMA

From: David Brownell
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 22:12:11 EST

James Bottomley wrote:
On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 15:14, David Brownell wrote:

That can work when the scope of "DMA" knowledge is just
one driver ... but when that driver is plugging into a
framework, it's as likely to be some other code (maybe
a higher level driver) that just wants RAM address space
which, for whatever reasons, is DMA-coherent. And hey,
the way to get this is dma_alloc_coherent ... or in some
cases, pci_alloc_consistent.

If the driver can't cope then you *only* use DMA_MEMORY_MAP

That would be the norm for all those low-level drivers,
certainly. Except maybe on that one mysterious box,
where the CPU can't access that memory directly ... ;)

Which is why my comment was that the new feature of
returning some kind of memory cookie usable on that one
IBM box (etc) should just use a different allocator API.
It doesn't allocate RAM "similarly to __get_free_pages";
it'd be returning something drivers can't treat as RAM.

Well, I don't believe it will be necessary. However, when an actual
user comes along, we'll find out.

OK, I can easily view DMA_MEMORY_IO as an API experiment.

It is no-longer real memory once you use this API. Even if the
processor can treat DMA_MEMORY_MAP memory as "real", you'll probably
find that a device off on another bus cannot even see it. However, as
long as you keep the memory between the processor and the device then
you can treat it identical to RAM.

I'm not sure I see what you're saying. The only guarantees on
the memory are that "the" CPU and the device can both access
it like memory. Other devices are out-of-scope, as is location
(anywhere both can access it like normal memory, not just stuff
that's "between" the two on some bus). It's DMA_MEMORY_IO that
you said would not be RAM-like ("directly writable"), and would
need I/O memory accessors like readl/writel/etc ... to the
device it looks like normal RAM, but not to the host.

The intention of the flags option for dma_alloc_coherent() was only for
memory allocation instructions; the allocation can fail for other
reasons that unavailability of memory depending on how the API is
implemented, so __GFP_NOFAIL doesn't actually work now in every case.

I personally think __GFP_WAIT is the most important one, but
some folk have other priorities. Regardless, I _was_ talking
about passing flags down to the memory allocator, so it sounds
like it was just an oversight in this initial version.

- Dave