Re: [BUGS] [CHECKER] 99 synchronization bugs and a lock summarydatabase

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 23:40:58 EST

Yichen Xie <yxie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://glide.stanford.edu/linux-lock/err1.html (69 errors)
> http://glide.stanford.edu/linux-lock/err2.html (30 errors)

ugh. Most of these look real.

AFAICT fs/sysv/itree.c:find_shared is innocent.

fs/nfsd/nfsproc.c:nfsd_proc_link is a bit obscure. There's a bug in a
callee of nfsd_proc_link(): nfsd_link() can forget to do an fh_unlock() on
an error path (the goto out_nfserr). Is that what the tool is referring
to?

Anyway, I've enumerated these 109 bugs and placed a couple of text files at

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/stanford-locking-bugs/

so we can keep track of which of these possible bugs has been fixed or
otherwise disposed of.

If people could track the bugs by those identifiers, that would help. I
fixed err1-10 and err1-25.

If someone wants to volunteer to maintain this list, that would be nice.