Re: question about SATA and IDE DVD/CD drives.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 12:03:15 EST

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Enable CONFIG_IDE, and disable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA, and that will fix things I bet.

Tried this as well on the latest snapshot (2.6.7-bk9) and it failed as well. Namely, SATA disk works fine but IDE subsystem doesn't see the DVD drive.

Are you sure that I only need to enable CONFIG_IDE and not some of the
other IDE options (disk, cdrom, chipset-specific etc)?

Sorry, I was summarizing... you definitely need a "personality" driver such as the ide-cdrom driver in order to make use of your DVD drive.

Really, though, I need to get off my butt and finish ATAPI in libata. Then, libata can drive PATA devices and we can get rid of all these headaches with combined mode being split between two drivers.

I'm going to be doing some libata hacking this weekend, looking particularly at a regression not caused by ACPI (hi Fabio). I'll see if I can finish up ATAPI at that time.

Jeff