Re: 8139too in 2.6.x tx timeout

From: Zinx Verituse
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 01:56:07 EST

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:33:28AM -0500, Zinx Verituse wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 01:30:22PM +0900, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> > Zinx Verituse <zinx@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > Up with some other files:
> > > http://zinx.xmms.org/misc/tmp/8139too/
> > > linux-2.6.7-mobius-dotconfig (.config being used for the kernel)
> >
> > Probably this isn't fix the problem, but can you try the following?
> >
> > CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO=n
> > CONFIG_8139TOO_TUNE_TWISTER=n
> >
> > (both config to "n")
> >

> Tried, but didn't work (not relevant due to new information after I tried,
> though -- see below)
>
> > > On the ping -c1: several pings made it, then it didn't reply for one,
> > > but also reported no timeout in the messages. Another ping caused it
> > > to not reply _and_ to timeout/reset.
> >
> > This may not be the problem of 8139too driver, because 2.4.24's
> > driver didn't fix.
> >
> > Umm.. possible of cable or hub problem, but 2.4.24 is work...
> > Do you know lastest worked version?
> >

> I just tried a 2.4.24 kernel I compiled myself -- It doesn't work.
> I tried booting the 2.4.24-xfs knoppix kernel on my actual system
> instead of the knoppix CD (required a bit of fiddling to get it
> booting) -- Also does not work.
>
> So, it seems to be some configuration issue on my end, though I'm
> not sure what at this point (first thing i tried way back was copying
> knoppix's /etc/pcmcia). Ah well, I'll figure it out eventually :)
> Thanks for your time :)

I have now discovered what causes the card to work on knoppix --
The probe during the loading of the OSS "cs46xx.o" driver. This driver
doesn't work with my sound card (non-AC97 codec), and does not finish
I have to work :x

So, it's not a configuration problem after all :(

I'll be loading this driver in 2.6.7 in the short term, but it does
appear to mash some random registers, possibly the 8139's, and it may
fool around with interrupts. I'll look in to the probe process more
later and see if I can figure out something real for the 8139too driver.

I've put up the output from cs46xx and 8139too (2.4.24) at:
http://zinx.xmms.org/misc/tmp/8139too/cs46xx.log

--
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/