Re: quite big breakthrough in the BAD network performance, which mm6 did not fix

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 14:31:58 EST

Redeeman <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 17:54 -0700, Matt Heler wrote:

> > Ok first take benchmarks ( use wget ), and secondly results from the
> > internet vary day by day , hour to hour , minute by minute. Don't
> > expect all sites on the internet to be the same speed, or even stay the
> > same speed for that matter. For more accurate benchmark results setup a
> > personal server on your own private network and benchmark http
> > trasnfers using different kernels.

> i am aware of this, however, what i use to benchmark is kernel.org, as i
> can see they have alot bandwith free.

How do you know that?

> if i use kernel.org http i get 50kb/s, if i use ftp, i can easily fetch
> with 200kb/s

Trafic shaping somewhere along the route? Much more load on HTTP than FTP?
Are they the very same machines? Under the exact same load? Are the servers
written with the same care? Are the clients?

> also, the gnu ftp, where i took gcc3.4.1, it gave me 200kb/s

Ditto.

Unless you set up something where there aren't dozens of unknown variables
and a hundred or so that you have got no chance at all to even guess what
their values/effects are...