Re: 0xdeadbeef vs 0xdeadbeefL

From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 01:00:47 EST

On Jul 7, 2004, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:05:01PM -0700, Ray Lee wrote:
>> [1] "The great thing about standards is that there are so many
>> of them to choose from." Wish I could remember who said
>> that.

> AST and in this case it actually doesn't apply - everything from K&R
> to C99 is in agreement here.

Are you sure? I've seen K&R C compilers for 32-bit platforms in which
0xdeadbeef had type *signed* int, as opposed to unsigned int. I
thought the preference for an unsigned type in this case was
introduced in ISO C90, but it might as well have been a bug in that
compiler. Although I'm told other compilers display similar behavior.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/