Re: partitionable md devices and partition detection

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 07:25:33 EST

In article <16619.35060.821865.570842@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Wednesday July 7, chutz@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> What is the proper way to detect the partitions on a md device during kernel
>> initialization?
>> The real problem I am facing is that I cannot boot my root partition, which is
>> on /dev/md_d0p1, without using an initrd. The kernel complains that the device
>> md_d0p1 does not exist.
>
>Hmm... I guess there isn't.
>I remember having a lot of trouble getting partitions to be recognised
>when an array is first assembled, and deciding it was just easier to
>leave it to user-space. However that isn't an option when booting
>without an initrd.

That's weird. It has been working for me out of the box.

>The following patch should make it work for the
> md=d0,....
>case.

So the fact that it works for me is a freak accident?

I have this in lilo.conf:

append="md=d0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb root=/dev/md_d0p1 "

and this is dmesg:

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
md: Loading md_d0: /dev/sda
md: bind<sda>
md: bind<sdb>
raid1: raid set md_d0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
md_d0: p1 p2 p3 < p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10 >
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

Mike.