Announcement of HTML-Index of linux-2.6.4/Documentation

From: Wiesner Thomas
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 10:48:20 EST

Announcement of HTML-Index of linux-2.6.4/Documentation

I had some spare time and decided to make a bash script which generates
(with the help of some description files) a nice HTML Index for
linux-2.6.4/Documentation to give it a better look. (I think it would be
interesting for kernel-hq.)

I did it for 2.6.4, because I had the tarball of it on my hdd. I have a 56k
modem which doesn´t make downloading kernel source fun. (I know that there are
patches, but I´m too lazy.). But it should work with nearly any source version
(should work even "stand alone") but then you have broken links.

The package is not a patch, but a tarball, because I only needed to add files
and not to change any existing.

You can get the tarball at:
http://members.aon.at/gwiesner/misc/2_6-html-doc-index.tar.gz

Install it by typing:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.4 # or whatever dir
cd Documentation
tar -xzf 2_6-html-doc-index.tar.gz

To generate the HTML files run:
./mkhtmlindex.sh

The script will generate a index.html in Documentation
and a index.html in every subdirectory of it. (not recursive, only 1 level)

The descriptions of the files are in the files.desc and dirs.desc files.

I would be nice to get some feedback.

BTW: This is my first contribution and please CC me, as I´m not in the list.

Wiesner Thomas