Re: 2.6.7-mm6

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 00:12:10 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 12:45:05PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

We could make CLONE_IDLETASK clones not do the wakeup?
Ingo? I guess an alternative is to have the arch explicitly
make a call to dequeue it.

This is all just context switching and bootstrap ordering, but I really
have other vastly more urgent things to do at the moment than cleanups.

If you could help that would be great. You needn't do anything
other than test. The patch sort of enables run cloned thread
last which allows us to remove balance on clone, which is important.
For me.

Please present a self-contained fixed-up init_idle() cleanup for me to
testboot. Even the one in -mm is not so, as it depends on later patches
to even compile.

The patch I just sent (which is on top of -mm6) should hopefully
work... if you feel like testing a solution that may still get
vetoed by Ingo.

Also, what compile errors are you getting? i386 seems to compile
kernel/ fine with only the first sched- patch applied.