Re: raidstart used deprecated START_ARRAY ioctl

From: Neil Brown
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 00:24:10 EST

On Friday July 9, norberto+linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What does this mean and how do I fix it?
>
> md: raidstart(pid 4983) used deprecated START_ARRAY ioctl. This will not be
> supported beyond 2.6

It means that the mechanism (that START_ARRAY ioctl) that 'raidstart'
uses to start an array is "deprecated", as in it won't be supported in
future.
The reason for this is that it is badly designed and is not reliable.
If you have a degraded array, there is at-least and even chance that
raidstart will not successfully start it for you.

So, you should stop using raidstart.

The options are:

1/ use "autodetect". I'm not a big fan of this personally, but it is
much more reliable than START_ARRAY.
This is done by set the partition type of all partitions that
contain part of an MD array to "Linux Raid Autodetect" (0xFD).
Then all arrays are found and assembled at boot time.
This requires having all of md (that you need) compiled into the
kernel, not as modules.

2/ use mdadm. Read the man page about ASSEMBLE MODE.
You have an /etc/mdadm.conf that lists
- devices (or partitions) to scan
- arrays to be started
- UUID of each array

and mdadm will find and assemble the arrays.

NeilBrown