Re: XFS: how to NOT null files on fsck?

From: L A Walsh
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 11:40:30 EST

It's a feature! :-)

It's been in the code for years to randomly write nulls to some files that have been
modified in the past few days after a bad shutdown. Reported on XFS list and got same
overwhelming response there.

Apparently not easily reproduced, no one has a clue why it does it. Just does. Even after multiple syncs, files edited within the past few days
will sometimes go mysteriously null. Good reason to do daily backups as the
backups will usually contain the correct file...

Now if we could just come up with a reproducable test case...but when I
try to reproduce it, it doesn't. Grrr....it knows when I'm scrutinizing!! :-)

-l

Norberto Bensa wrote:

Hello,

how do I setup XFS to not null files after a bad shutdown?

Thanks,
Norberto