Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 14:02:33 EST

Hans,

I forgot to mention I am running on Suse 9.1 with 2.6.4 but can upgrade this software
to 2.6.whatever. If you could hand me a patch or some instructions as to which files
to modify, I'll attempt to make these changes and test them. Reiser seems a little more
complex than most of the other FS's and I am somewhat hesitant to alter it and place
it into a production system based on a lot of bug reports I;ve seen over the years. It's
very powerful, but also very complex and I probably **WILL** break something if I
attempt to change your code. Can you point me to where the changes and/or send
me a simple patch to remove the 32000 directory limitation and increase support to 32
bit the the nlink field?

Danke,

Jeff

> Just use reiser4 which has disk format plugins. reiserfs v3 should stay
> stable and undisturbed.

I was actually looking through your code when this message arrived. I am
sending out
another unit Monday to the site installed with reiser and Suse Linux, Might I
suggest
perhaps you consider making the change in reiser for the larger field size to 32
bit (I
am looking at the code at present, and it appears you are using the same inode
structure as everyone else) and I will default these systems to reiser instead
of EXT3
for this application. There's another FS (not NWFS) that actually writes the
captured
network traffic streaming to the system at over 400 MB/S which folks haven't
seen
yet, it acts more like on on-disk LRU with huge cache units (137 MB each)
but snort and the network forensic applications use a standard file system for
reporting. Reiser is a good choice if this limitation can be removed.

Veil Erfolg and Gluck.

Danke,

Jeff

Bitte