Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 14:21:39 EST

> Reiser3 lets a directory have more than 32000 subdirectories already.
> I ran into this problem two weeks ago on an ext3 filesystem and found
> Reiser didn't have the problem. My reiser3 directory had 1million+
> subdirs before I killed my test program.
>
> I believe it still has a similar limit on the number of hard links,
> but it doesn't implement ".." as a hard link.
>
> --Pete

NetWare has always supported more than this, so this whole idea of fixed inode tables
is somewhat strange to me to start with. I am still looking through Hans code, but if
this is accurate I'll just take a system out Monday and see if it works. My only concern
with Reiser has to do with the bug reports I've seen on it over the years, but Suse is
shipping it as default, and we have been running it here for about a year on a production
server. I'll post if it crashes, corrupts data, or has problems.

Jeff