Realtek 8180 specs--would they help?

From: keysersoze
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 17:11:15 EST

Recently, I emailed Realtek and asked if they would A) Update the 8180 driver,
B)Open all of the source for the driver, or C) Provide the specifications of
the chipset so a driver could be written. They responded by sending me what
appears to be the same document as was posted here last year by someone, who
was accused of acquiring it in an illegal manner. I searched the kernel
archives and found that development for a driver for the 2.6 kernel has
apparently either ceased or at least slowed.
My questions are: Is there a chance this document (90 page pdf) be helpful in
writing a new driver? Is development for a new driver more active than it
appears? If the document could be helpful, exactly what measures would I
have to take to assure the community that it was obtained exactly as I stated
(and with Realtek's blessing)?
I don't want to do the wrong thing here, and as such I will not post the
document until receiving feedback. I am not subscribed to the list, so
please cc any answers.
Thank you for your time.
Wayne