Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 20:03:25 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
as most of you are probably aware of it, there have been complaints on
lkml that the 2.6 kernel is not suitable for serious audio work due to
high scheduling latencies (e.g. the Jackit people complained). I took a
look at latencies and indeed 2.6.7 is pretty bad - latencies up to 50
msec (!) can be easily triggered using common workloads, on fast 2GHz+
x86 system - even when using the fully preemptible kernel!

to solve this problem, Arjan van de Ven and I went over various kernel
functions to determine their preemptability and we re-created from
scratch a patch that is equivalent in performance to the 2.4 lowlatency
patches but is different in design, impact and approach:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.7-bk20-H2

Looks nice.

I think you may have mixed up your trees. I think this change is the cfq bad allocation fix which I dont think is part of your voluntary preemption patch:

--- linux/drivers/block/cfq-iosched.c.orig
+++ linux/drivers/block/cfq-iosched.c

Otherwise, cheers! I'll give it a bit of a run and see what numbers come up.

Con