Re: Autoregulate swappiness & inactivation

From: FabF
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 04:46:30 EST

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 13:24, Nick Piggin wrote:
> FabF wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 12:43, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
> >>pdflush is used to perform writeout of dirty data, so it has
> >>no part in reducing Mozilla's RSS.
> >
> > Oops ... kswapd then ?
> >

> Yep.
>

> >>I don't really understand what you are asking though. Your basic
> >>problem is that mozilla's resident memory gets evicted too easily,
> >>is that right?
> >>

> > Not at all.My problem is mozilla has some MB to recover when
> > reactivating; meanwhile, I consider there was sufficient resource to
> > share with it _before_ reactivation as I'm waiting some minutes after an
> > heavy process (e.g updatedb) to be done and over.
> >

> You could try my -np7 patch, which would hopefully fix the problem
> for you.

Hi Nick:)
I've been busy benchmarking Con's autoregulation which _is_ proved
interesting in middle pressure.
AFAICS mm7np works that way : it cleans up memory brightly so we do see
attractive free memory available _but_ relevant rss doesn't move 1 byte
:( So we'll have foregrounding elevation for sure (no cleaning required)
but application still have to 'emerge' and that's the heavier side of
the story I'm afraid.

Regards,
FabF