Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 07:59:14 EST

* Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:00:26AM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
>
> > > http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.7-bk20-H2
> > Looks nice.
> >
> > I think you may have mixed up your trees. I think this change is the cfq
> > bad allocation fix which I dont think is part of your voluntary
> > preemption patch:
> >
> > --- linux/drivers/block/cfq-iosched.c.orig
>
> It was this patch that found this bug 8-) Without voluntary-preempt
> it had been lying there unexposed for a while. It's sort of must-have
> if you use this patch, so I guess that's why Ingo rolled it in until
> mainline gets the same fix.

correct. E.g. 2.6.7-mm7 already has the patch so for that tree there's
no cfq-iosched.c change in the voluntary-preempt patch. And for
2.6.7-vanilla there's a big cfq-iosched.c delta to include the other
improvements from Jens as well on which the bugfix depends.

the patch didnt really trigger the bug itself, it triggered an annoying
debugging message instead ;)

Ingo