Re: Preempt Threshold Measurements

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 00:53:29 EST

Andrew Morton writes:

Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Certainly the do_munmap and exit_mmap seem to be repeat offenders on my machine too (more the latter in my case).

This is a false positive. Nothing is setting need_resched(), so
unmap_vmas() doesn't bother dropping the lock.

Ok well excluding do_munmap and exit_mmap the ones that have shown up (some more frequently than others) are:

6ms at ksoftirqd+0x6b
2ms at sys_ioctl+0x47
2ms at b44_open
6ms at fget+0x28
2ms at write_ordered_buffers+0x37
4ms at blkdev_put+0x48
5ms at add_wait_queue+0x21
4ms at blkdev_put+0x48

and you were right; eventually the reiserfs ones showed up again at 6-8ms

Now which of the above are not false positives and should I try to extract the exact locations of them?

Con