Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop and multimedia as an afterthought?

From: Paul Davis
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 09:58:10 EST

>Thus, the fact that Linux does not support protocols to prevent priority
>inversion (please correct me if I am wrong) kind of suggests that supporting
>realtime applications is not considered very important.

we went through this (you and i in particular) right here on LAD a
year or so ago. while i might agree with you about the priority given
to RT-ish apps, my recollection of the end of that discussion is that
priority inheritance is neither necessary nor sufficient to allow
adequate RT performance. priority inversion generally can be factored
out through application redesign, and the protocols i've seen to
address it are not useful for RT purposes - they just help deadlock.

--p