Re: SATA disk device naming ?

From: Tigran Aivazian
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 11:39:34 EST

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Ricky Beam wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
> >... "root=LABEL=/" ...
>
> I've seen the LABEL method not work at all. (2.6.7-rc3 on the wikipedia
> servers.)

right, the LABEL=/ never works for me so I always replace it with explicit
"root=/dev/sda2" thing, but this is problematic if "/dev/sda2" becomes
"/dev/hda2" if you boot with IDE driver compiled in, as opposed to SATA
driver.

I assumed that "LABEL=/" thing is a RedHat-specific kernel's feature but
never bothered to check. The reason I assumed so was that the problems
always happen after installation, i.e. as soon as I replace the vendor's
generic kernel with the one properly optimized for my specific needs.

Kind regards
Tigran