Re: [2.6 patch] kill drive_info

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 04:03:29 EST

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 02:08:10AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> What about the patch below to kill drive_info?
>
> Please double-check this patch, all I checked was a test of compilation
> on i386.

> - unsigned char *BIOS = (unsigned char *) &drive_info;
> + unsigned char *BIOS = &boot_params[0x80];

Ugly. There is already a define DRIVE_INFO for this right hand side:

setup.h:#define PARAM (boot_params)
setup.h:#define DRIVE_INFO (*(struct drive_info_struct *) (PARAM+0x80))

> - drive_info = DRIVE_INFO;

Hmm. setup.c copies this info from where it was left after booting
to some safe place. You seem to think that this saving is not required.
Is it not?

Andries