Re: SATA disk device naming ?

From: P
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 04:52:29 EST

Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:49:11PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

For LABEL to work on root filesystem, you need an initrd.

initrd is such a PITA at times, I wondered about something hacky like
sticking LABEL parsing for rootfs (marked init) into the kernel but
it's really gross.

Ideally the initrd/initramfs process just needs better (userspace)
infrastructure to make it more reliable/easier.

Something like this?
http://www-124.ibm.com/pipermail/evms/2001-March/000119.html

initrd is awkward but I've found I need the flexibility.
For e.g. I modified nash to support an index as well as
a label so one could have multiple redundant filesystem
images to choose from.

Pádraig.