Re: Fwd: Mail System Error - Returned Mail

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 11:36:11 EST

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 04:23, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:06:39PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I'm getting a lot of these bounces, any good reason?
>
>Dunno, but we also see (every now and then) that Verizon
>system rejects emails towards it with MAIL FROM giving
>vger.kernel.org domain.

Yeah, I'm getting unsubbed from some mailing lists because of
excessive bounces.

>Reading deeper, the visible "To:" header, and "remote mta"
>line do say: vgr.kernel.org which isn't quite exactly right...

I think I found it, that miss-spelling was how it was here in kmails
folder preferences when the "folder contains a mailing list" option
is checked. There I had the vgr as you see, instead of vger.

I'm pretty sure that fixes at least one glitch, and may explain why
some of my messages have been ignored. I may not have seen the
bounce message because most of them are spam and are sorted to a
folder thats autocleaned when I quite kmail.

But then I'm an old fart, and easliy ignored most of the time too :-)

[...]

>From the symptoms I do suspect that Verizon's DNS server(s) are
>malfunctioning somehow.

They are in fact, in plain english, a pain in the ass. Miss-configured
pieces of M$ driven crap, occasionally viri infected even, up and
down like a Duncan yoyo. Here about a year ago, I had just setup a
new Seimans dsl router. It had been setup about 2 weeks, when one
day it wasn't working again and I couldn't access its web page.
There was just one line in my logs, giving their DNS's machines ip as
the cuplrit, indicating it had been hacked and they had actually
gotten thru to my firewall machine, but portsentry is set to be
paranoid & shut them off on the first syn packet. The router had
been hacked, the password and apparently its ip address had been
hacked, I couldn't find a button to restore factory defaults, so I
said screw it, gave it back to Circuit City and brought home a
linksys for twice the money. It's been bulletproof so far.

>An alternate is that their MTA software is treating temporary DNS
>failures (like lookup timeout) as instantly permanent failures and
>as a valid reason for reject, which would be a mad thing to do.

Thats possible, I've run query's to it, had them fail, work 10x in a
row, and fail twice in a row, all in the space of a minute or less.

[snip the rest]

Many thanks for looking into it, as usual, I was the little boy crying
wolf. Since I'll be 70 shortly, thats not a pretty sight :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.