Re: Problems with DMA on IDE/ServerWorks/Seagate.

From: Rico Tudor
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 03:17:41 EST

>Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:16:14 -0700
>From: "Dave Woods" <dwoods@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>We have diagnosed a problem (file corruption) using Ultra DMA & IDE with
>
>ServerWorks OSB4 Chipset and Seagate drives under heavy disk I/O.

This chipset has buggy IDE DMA.

I maintain several boxes with OSB4 and IDE devices (HD, CDR-W, DVD-RW).
Best solution is using an add-on card (e.g. Promise Ultra66 card).
Otherwise, I found two configurations that always work: multi-device,
and single-device. In multi-device, operate all devices in PIO -
no exceptions! In single-device, meaning the other three interfaces
are unused, you can safely enable MW-DMA Mode 2.