MAX_DMA_ADDRESS in include/asm/asm-i386/dma.h (2.6.x and 2.4.x)

From: Amit D. Chaudhary
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 16:41:18 EST

While writing some DMA page gathering code, I realize that __get_free_page or kmalloc does not return memory more than 16 MB (typically around 11-12 MB even if it done right after a reboot.)

Since this is for a PCI device (A Fibre channel HBA), I remembered that the book Linux Device Driver, edition 2 mentions that the 16 MB limit is for DMA with ISA devices, while PCI DMA can access upto 950 MB or so, using 32 bit addresses.

Digging further into the code, I found that this being a Intel PC (a P4 2.8 GHz with 1GB RAM) with High Mem for 4 GB enabled kernel, the define in linux/include/asm/asm-i386/dma.h for MAX_DMA_ADDRESS is probably what is limiting this. The #define is the same in 2.6.8-rc1 as well as 2.4.x (2.4.20 and 2.4.25 is what I checked.)

/* The maximum address that we can perform a DMA transfer to on this platform */
#define MAX_DMA_ADDRESS (PAGE_OFFSET+0x1000000)

From what I can understand so far, this implies 0xC000 0000 + +0x1000000 = A total of 16 MB

I changed this to 256 MB which was less than the limit in the book and enough for the test code purpose
#define MAX_DMA_ADDRESS (PAGE_OFFSET+0x10000000)

After running some FC traffic and delibrately not free'ing memory, the memory above 16 MB was DMA'abled and the data was read and written correctly.

So, the question is, can someone DMA and x86 architecture expert comment on this? Am I missing something?
And if the above code is ok, is there a way to have the above change in the main kernel so that it works with ISA and PCI devices?

Thanks
Amit