Re: serious performance regression due to NX patch

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 20:42:07 EST

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, David Mosberger wrote:

> Am I missing something?

No. Using "def_flags" was a mistake for the whole VM_EXEC thing. It's not
designed for that, and it doesn't work that way. I applied the paper-over
fix that gets it almost-working, but I'm waiting for Ingo to rewrite it by
just saving the "executable_stack" information at exec time, and not
playing with def_flags at all.

And if somebody else beats him to it, all the more power to that person,
hint hint ;)

Linus