Re: Firmware updates using Linux?

From: Michael Mauch
Date: Sat Jul 17 2004 - 10:34:18 EST

Harald Dunkel wrote:

> I've got a DVD drive, which seems to have some problems.
> There is a new firmware available, but (as usual) it requires
> Windows to install. An update via DOS is not supported. But
> I would like to keep my PC Windows-free.

> Before I step on the toes of my vendor: Would it be possible
> to do a firmware update (IDE, SCSI, USB) within Linux?

There's a firmware update program for Plextor drives, see
<http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_prog.asp?choice=Upgrade%20programs>.
It's not written by Plextor, but by Jörg Schilling (author of cdrtools
etc.). See also
<http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/firmware.html>.

Regards...
Michael