Re: PIIX4 ACPI device - hardwired IRQ9

From: Andrey Panin
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 00:37:58 EST

On 195, 07 13, 2004 at 07:34:26PM +0200, Torsten Scheck wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Please excuse my ignorance: Does the indicated line below have any other
> purpose apart from making me comment it and recompile the kernel to get
> my soundcard working? ;-)
>
> kernel-source-2.4.26/arch/i386/kernel/pci-pc.c
> static void __devinit pci_fixup_piix4_acpi(struct pci_dev *d)
> /* PIIX4 ACPI device: hardwired IRQ9 */
> ===> d->irq = 9;
>
> $ isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
> /etc/isapnp.conf:167 -- Fatal - resource conflict allocating IRQ9
> (see pci)
> /etc/isapnp.conf:167 -- Fatal - Error occurred executing request
> 'IRQ 9' --- further action aborted
>
> My soundcard is a Terratec EWS64 XL. I successfully use the
> sam9407-1.0.4 driver after a proper isapnp configuration, i.e. comment
> the hardwired IRQ9 line, compile the kernel, run isapnp.
>

> If there should be really no other purpose I recommend to comment the
> line, so I can use a precompiled kernel from now on. :-)

The answer is simple: don't use isapnptools with 2.4 kernel,
drivers should use kernel ISA PnP subsystem instead.

Unfortunately the sam9407-1.0.4 is extremely ugly piece of code and
no person sane enough will touch it (for the good summ of money perhaps :)

So the real thing you need is sam9407 driver rewritten from scrath :(

--
Andrey Panin | Linux and UNIX system administrator
pazke@xxxxxxxxx | PGP key: wwwkeys.pgp.net