Re: fix for unkillable zombie task

From: David Mosberger
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 14:22:43 EST

>>>>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:20:46 +0200, Andreas Schwab <schwab@xxxxxxx> said:

Andreas> Could this be the same problem as discussed in the thread at
Andreas> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108857537300002&r=1&w=2>?

It appears the "final" patch never made it into Linus' tree?

In any case, I'm certain the fix I submitted is needed, but I wouldn't
claim I understand all of the exit path handling---it's become rather
complicated with the NPTL-changes. For example, one thing I don't
understand in forget_original_parent() is that it traverses the
father->children list and then does the check:

if (father == p->real_parent) {

AFAIK, if "p" in on the father->children list, that implies that
(p->real_parent == father). I suspect a typo here and
"p->real_parent" should read "p->parent", but I'm sure whoever wrote
this code must have tested it, so it's probably more likely I'm
missing something.

--david