Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 01:54:43 EST

* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >look at my latest patches to see how it's done. We can preempt softirq
> >handlers via lock-break methods. The same method doesnt work in the idle
>
> Are you referring to this patch?
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/voluntary-preempt/defer-softirqs-2.6.8-rc2-A2

no, i'm referring to this one:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc2-I1

(disregard the debugging induced complexity.)

> Surely something similar could easily be done for irq context softirq
> processing with a patch like my earlier one? And it would prevent
> spilling to ksoftirq when a RT thread isn't waiting to run.

the softirq-defer patch is just the first step to enable lock-break of
softirqs - the lock-break is done in the -I1 patch.

(what patch do you refer to via 'my earlier one'? Did you mean your 'if
(rt_task())' suggestion?)

Ingo