Re: [FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 19:57:09 EST

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:49, Nuno Monteiro wrote:
> On 2004.07.22 13:49, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
> > Controller (rev a1)
> > Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp: Unknown device 2301
>
> > However, this, nor the xconfig helps, still don't indicate which
> > driver I should be using, or where to get it if its not in the
> > kernel's tree yet a/o 2.6.8-rc2. So thats the next piece of data I
> > need.
>
> Hi Gene,
>

> I believe you'll need forcedeth.c for this one. It's called "Reverse
> Engineered nForce Ethernet support", under Device Driver -> Networking ->
> Ethernet 10/100 Mbit.

Wow, nVidia won't release the specs for a *10/100 ethernet controller*?
Having to reverse engineer a network driver is ridiculous in this day
and age. I can understand binary-only graphics drivers, there is a lot
of valuable IP in there, but this is a freaking network card. What do
they expect people to do?

Maybe some bad press would set them straight.

Lee