Re: [patch] kernel events layer

From: Ryan Anderson
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 12:35:11 EST

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:45:53AM -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 08:08 -0700, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> > > The easiest way to avoid that is simply to use a name similar to the
> > > path name.
> >
> > What is the path name of a device from the kernels point of view?
> > Since device naming in /dev is left up to userland now, it has to
> > be something else that the kernel is aware of.
>
> I might not of been clear - path name of the file in the kernel source
> tree. So if you add an event to fs/open.c the path is
> "/org/kernel/fs/open". This is a pretty generic naming scheme that
> ensures names will be unique within the kernel and will not conflict
> with names outside the kernel (e.g. the global URI space of whatever is
> used in user-space).

So, when I do something like
mv kernel/fs/x.c kernel/fs/y.c

I also have to do:
sed -i -e s/kernel\/fs\/x.c/kernel\/fs\/y.c/g kernel/fs/y.c

Won't that, in effect, be breaking a defacto userspace API by changing
message paths, even if the semantic meaning, cause and possible
resolutions are all unchanged?

--

Ryan Anderson