2.6.7-ck5: System hangs under constant load

From: Emmeran Seehuber
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 15:29:31 EST

Hello everybody!

I'm using a 2.6.7 kernel with the ck5 patch (gentoo ck-sources). But the
problem I have may not directly be related to this kernel version, because I
had it a few times already with other 2.6.x kernels.

When I put the machine under constant load (e.g. emerge of kde 3.3beta2), it
works for some hours without problems. But then the machine suddenly hangs.
"Hang" means that no keyboard or mouse input works (even SysRq doesn't work),
the screen freezes and the cpu seems to go into a loop. The system is a
laptop and I hear the fan spin loudly. And the fan doesn't stop to spin nor
turns down the sound, even after some hours. (Well, I start the emerge and
then let the computer alone for some hours, in the hope that it finishes
it ... when I come back, it hangs)

The X Server (tested XFree and X.org) was always running, but I also tried it
with the virtual console 1 (ALT-STRG-F1) active, to see if some kernel oops
or something gets printed out. But no message apeared :(

Because my laptop sometimes gets to hot and then does a "hard" poweroff, I've
written a small script which throttles the CPU down when it gets to hot. I
don't know if this may be related, but I've attached the script I use for
this.

The kernel is tainted by the VMware modules. But VMware was not running, so I
don't think that it is related to this problem.

Any idea what could be the reason for this? What can I try?

cu,
Emmy

P.S.: There is some badness reported in the log file about the atmel module
and it's kobject usage. I don't think this is a real problem, is it?

P.P.S.: Please CC me, I'm not on the list.