Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc2-I3

From: Thomas Charbonnel
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 07:30:43 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote :
> * Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm experiencing hard freezes in the early stage of the latency test
> > suite (X11 test, latencytest-0.5.4) with 2.6.8-rc2-I4, both with the
> > default vp:2 kp:0 and with vp:0 kp:0 (nvidia card, xfree drivers). I
> > was also experiencing hard freezes before with 2.6.7-mm7-H4 while
> > doing intensive disk I/O on reiserfs (e.g. tar big_file.tar.gz)
>
> weird. Do you get these freezes with CONFIG_VOLUNTARY and CONFIG_PREEMPT
> turned off in the .config as well? Do you get them with the patch
> unapplied altogether?
>
> hm ... arent you using the SMP kernel by any chance? The latencytest
> module has an SMP locking bug, fixed by the patch below.
>
> Ingo

I was not using an SMP kernel.
I redid the test with 2.6.8-rc2-J4 (vp:2 kp:0), and latencytest-0.5.4
with your locking fix, and it went ok. I did the test holding a key to
track the problem I'm seeing with the keyboard (xrun/latency spike on
8.079 sec boundaries if a keybord interrupt happens at this moment).
You can find the results including the traces generated with showtrace
here :
http://www.undata.org/~thomas/test1.tar.bz2

Thomas