Re: Compression filter for Loopback device

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 07:39:16 EST

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 19:20, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-23 Paulo Marques wrote:
> >
> >I did start working on something like that a while ago. I even
> >registered for a project on sourceforge:
> >
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/zloop/
> >
> > - The block device doesn't understand anything about files. This is
> >an advantage because it will compress the filesystem metadata
> >transparently, but it is bad because it compresses "unused" blocks of
> >data. This could probably be avoided with a patch I saw floating around
> >a while ago that zero'ed delete ext2 files. Zero'ed blocks didn't accupy
> >any space at all in my compressed scheme, only metadata (only 2 bytes
> >per block).
> >

> The fact the block device doesn't understand anything about the
> filesystem is a *major* disadvantage. Cloop has a I/O and seeking
> performance hit because it doesn't understand the filesystem, and this
> will be far worse for write compression. Every time a block update is
> seen by your block layer you'll have to recompress the block, it is
> going to be difficult to cache the block because you're below the block
> cache (any writes you see shouldn't be cached). If you use a larger
> compressed block size than the block size, you'll also have to
> decompress each compressed block to obtain the missing data to
> recompress. Obviously Linux I/O scheduling has a large part to play,
> and you better hope to see bursts of writes to consecutive disk blocks.

Yes, I agree it is a major disadvantage. That is way I listed this as
one of the reasons to drop the project altogether :)

Anyway, my main concern was compression ratio, not performance.

Seek times are very bad for live CD distros, but are not so bad for
flash or ram media.

> >I did a proof of concept using a nbd server. This way I could test
> >everything in user space.
> >
> >With this NBD server I tested the compression ratios that my scheme
> >could achieve, and they were much better than those achieved by cramfs,
> >and close to tar.gz ratios. This I wasn't expecting, but it was a nice
> >surprise :)
>
> I'm very surprised you got ratios better than CramFS, which were close
> to tar.gz. Cramfs is actually quite efficient in it's use of metadata,
> what lets cramfs down is that it compresses in units of the page size or
> 4K blocks. Cloop/Squashfs/tar.gz use much larger blocks which obtain
> much better compression ratios.
>
> What size blocks did you do your compression and/or what compression
> algorithm did you use? There is a dramatic performance trade-off here.
> If you used larger than 4K blocks every time your compressing block
> device is presented with a (probably 4K) block update, you need to
> decompress your larger compression block, very slow. If you used 4K
> blocks then I cannot see how you obtained better compression than cramfs.

You are absolutely correct. I was using 32k block size, with 512 byte
"sector size". A 32k block would have to compress into an integer number
of 512 byte sectors. Most of my wasted space comes from this, but I was
assuming that this would have to work over a real block device, so I
tried as much as possible to make every read/write request to the
underlying file to be "512-byte block"-aligned.

The compression algorithm was simply the standard zlib deflate.

But has I said before, my major concern was compression ratio.

I left the block size selectable on mk.zloop, so that I could test
several block sizes and measure compress ratio / performance.

>From what I remember, 4k block sizes really hurt compression ratio. 32k
was almost as good as 128k or higher.

What I would really like to know is if anyone has real world
applications for a compression scheme like this, or is this just a waste
of time...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com
"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"