Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybeRLT-8139 related)

From: Pasi Sjoholm
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 16:32:15 EST

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

>>> I guess it can be reproduced even if the binary (nvidia ?) module is never
>>> loaded after boot, right ?

>> After 24 hours of hard working I can answer yes to this question.
>> Now I can reproduce this from 2 to 15 minutes with 2 cp-processes from
>> samba->workstation->nfs, some software building with make -j 3, playing
>> some mp3 via nfs to notice when kernel goes down.. =) and so on..

>> After that ksoftirqd takes almost all the cpu-time and the network is not
>> working at all.

> Is network traffic still coming in?

At least tcpdump doesn't say anything, I can only see only arp-packets
which my computer (not other computer's arp-packets) has made but no
response to those.

> or perhaps there is a network packet that causes some soft irq to go
> into an infinite loop. The recent iptables bug with ip options would be
> an example.

That would make sense but Robert Olsson had some knowledge of this and
said that this issue is probably the same that they have discussed in OSL.

--
Pasi Sjöholm