Re: ext3 and SPEC SFS Run rules.

From: Brian Pawlowski
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 18:48:59 EST

> The only place that I am aware of where we *do*not* return wcc data is
> for the WRITE request (which you have not listed). As the underlying
> filesystem is left to do whatever locking it thinks is appropriate,
> and vfs_write does none, nfsd is not in a position to lock it itself
> against sys_write and so cannot record before and after stat
> information that is atomic w.r.t the update.

Without replaying conversations on V3 and wcc_ stuff I do believe that
long about 1993 or 1994 most decided that making the pre- and post-stat
info atomic w.r.t. the update was not "required" - because that would
be hard.

The WCC stuff is relegated to a hint to help detect conflicting
changes in that case I believe.

beepy