Re: [patch] Add kref_read and kref_put_last primitives

From: Ravikiran G Thirumalai
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 02:13:43 EST

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:31:51PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:18:56PM +0530, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
>
> Why don't you simply use an atomic_t if that's what you seem to
> want?

struct kref does just that. The kref api are just abstractions for
refcounting which i presume is recommended for all refcounters in the
kernel. I am just converting the struct file.f_count refcounter
to use kref with this patch.

My actual intentions are to extend the kref api to do lock free refcounting
and use that for the file.f_count refcounter, and make fd lookup lock
free using rcu. My earlier experiments with such patches showed
performance improvements for threaded workloads which do lot of io.

Thanks,
Kiran