Re: The dreadful CLOSE_WAIT

From: DervishD
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 04:58:41 EST

Hi Måns :)

* Måns Rullgård <mru@xxxxxx> dixit:
> > Seems under Linux that, when a connection is in the CLOSE_WAIT
> > state, the only wait to go to LAST_ACK is the application doing the
> > 'shutdown()' or 'close()'. Doesn't seem to be a timeout for that.
> Is that why some programs seem to hang forever when my NAT gateway
> decides to drop a connection?

I don't know. Look at the output of your netstat command. If you
have connections in the CLOSE_WAIT state related to the NAT gateway,
it may be the cause :? But anyway the effect is just the opposite. Is
not CLOSE_WAIT state that hangs a program, but a hung program (or at
least one not doing its duty) which puts a connection in CLOSE_WAIT
state.

Hope this helps.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--