Re: 2.6.8-rc2 crashes

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 12:19:20 EST

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 10:29, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:33:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings everybody;
>>
>> I have now had 4 crashes while running 2.6.8-rc2, the last one
>> requiring a full powerdown before the intel-8x0 could
>> re-establish control over the sound.
>>
>> All have had an initial Opps located in prune_dcache, and were
>> logged as follows:
>> Jul 27 07:58:58 coyote kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL
>> pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
>
>... which means that dentry_unused list got corrupted, which doesn't
> really help. Could you try to narrow it down to 2.6.8-rc1-bk<day>?

I got the bright idea of doing some cmp's on that code module, and
its identical all the way back to 2.6.7-mm1, (I have them all) but
differs at 2.6.7:

[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm7/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm6/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm5/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm4/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm3/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm2/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7-mm1/fs/dcache.c
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc1]# cmp fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7/fs/dcache.c
fs/dcache.c ../linux-2.6.7/fs/dcache.c differ: byte 768, line 33

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.