Re: A users thoughts on the new dev. model

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 15:22:07 EST

Paul Jackson wrote:
Evan,

Have you found (1) Linus' 2.6 bk tree to meet your needs over the last
few months? Or (2) has it been too unstable for you?

If (1), seems like you might be in good shape, as from what I can
gather of this (not being in Ottawa) next month looks alot like
last month, so far as how Linux is developed.

If (2), then perhaps there is an opportunity here for a derivative of
Linus' tree that is "stabilized a bit", but not overly patched like
certain vendor kernels I won't name.

Yes, we'd all like the head kernel to march to the beat of our
particular needs, rapidly changing and adding what we need without
delay, leaving the rest untouched, and never breaking.

Now ... back to reality ...

I'm not sure that's true, I personally think there is a lot to be said about the model currently being used for 2.2 and 2.4, which is almost totally bug-fix mode. Is that bad? The addition of minor fixes, like better scheduling, should not impact stability, let more massive changes (and feature deletions) be omitted. Is a new Reiser version likely to be more stable than what we have, or should this wait for a development version? Good, put it somewhere else.

I like to invert the arguments for putting new stuff in 2.6, let's go back to the excitement of development and open 2.7, and put 2.6 out to pasture right away. Then 2.6 can really be stable and 2.7 can go hog wild, without holding back the developers with pesky users.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)