Re: LTT user input

From: Todd Poynor
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 21:50:07 EST

zanussi@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

As with most other tools, we don't tend to hear from users unless they
have problems with the tool. :-( LTT has also been picked up by
Debian, SuSE, and MontaVista - maybe they have user input that we
don't get to see as well...

I used LTT once to help investigate system startup performance issues on a Linux-based cell phone prototype. One thing that might be different from most LTT user's experiences is that it was somebody else's software, for which I did not have the source. This might help illustrate ways in which system administrators can analyze systems for improvements, rather than describing a more typical development scenario, although this does describe the development phase of a system.

LTT helped quantify the performance impacts of various system activities that might be best minimized (including unneeded system startup scripts and the importance of using shell builtins, as well as suggesting improvements that might be obtained through use of prelinking shared libraries), point out various repeated operations that could probably be consolidated (such as file access, process scheduling, and X client/server communication), and rule out low memory or the need for swapping as a cause of performance problems at that phase of system operation.

A great tool, highly recommended.

--
Todd Poynor
MontaVista Software